What is Osteopathy?
Manual Osteopathy could be described as holistic manual medicine. It focuses on osteopathic diagnosis and treatment of the whole physical body to improve physiological functioning.
Osteopathic manual practitioners (also known as manual osteopaths) are different than American style osteopathic physicians (who perform surgery and prescribe medicine). Manual Osteopaths assess and treat the entire person and not just the asymptomatic region. This comprehensive approach is taken because the primary root of the problem may be remote from the symptoms.
For example, a patient with headache will be assessed structurally from head to toe through a holistic approach.
Flat feet (root cause) > functional leg length discrepancy > pelvic torsion > scoliosis > cervicogenic tension headache (symptom)
Who can Benefit?
Osteopathy is very effective in treating neuro-musculo-skeletal disorders such as:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Sports injuries
- Postural strain (great treatment for office workers)
Osteopathy treatments are beneficial for people of all ages from infants to children, adults, and elderly.
Eight Principles of Osteopathy
There are eight major principles of manual osteopathy that are practiced by the international osteopathic community.
1. The body is a unit
2. Structure and function are reciprocally inter-related
3. The body possesses self-regulatory mechanisms
4. The body has the inherent capacity to defend and repair itself
5. When the normal adaptability is disrupted, or when environmental changes overcome the body’s capacity for self maintenance, disease may ensue.
6. The movement of body fluids is essential to the maintenance of health
7. The nerves play a crucial part in controlling the fluids of the body
8. There are somatic components to disease that are not only manifestations of disease, but also are factors that contribute to maintenance of the disease state.
When applied in practice, Osteopathy could make significant health improvements. The World Health Organisation (WHO) also recognized the Osteopathic concept of somatic dysfunction as being scientifically proven, and the British Medical Association too recognized Osteopathy as its own health discipline.
We-Fix-U’s experienced Osteopathic manual practitioners will take a holistic approach to carefully assess your condition, optimize your body’s structural balance, and improve your body’s overall performance. Come visit us in Cobourg and start feeling better soon.